In the latter case, they’re usually referring to something that happened in one of the short stories or novellas. I know some readers feel those additional books and stories are unnecessary, and I get that. However, the short story collections and novellas are intended to provide back story on supporting characters, and to flesh out details that I might have glossed over in the main novels.
Usually I write a short story about an event that is mentioned in the main books because the scene or sub-plot didn’t fit neatly in the original narrative. Plus, it gives me a change of pace in my writing schedule. Since I started writing full-time, I’ve found that if I’m always writing the same characters and point of view, I get burned out really fast.
I know this is confusing for people who are new to the series and world of Colin McCool, so I put together a suggested reading order, based on the chronology of the events in the Junkyard Druid books, novellas, short story collections, and THEM post-apocalyptic series, which is in the same shared universe.
Suggested Reading Order:
(optional) Invasion: Zombie Apocalypse
(optional) Incursion: Vampire Apocalypse
Counteraction: Werewolf Apocalypse (first THEM book in which Colin shows up)
(optional) Gabby’s Run: Paranormal Apocalypse
To clear up any confusion on the chronology of the various series, below I’ve added the timeline I use to help me keep events straight from novel to novel and series to series.
A TIMELINE OF EVENTS FOR MY DRUIDVERSE NOVELS
- Prequel: Druid Blood – Three-ish years before Junkyard Druid
- Prequel: Blood Scent – Spring, Year One
- Junkyard Druid – September, Year One
- Graveyard Druid – October, Year One
- Moonlight Druid – Winter, Year One
- Underground Druid – Spring, Year Two
- Druid Justice – Summer, Year Two
- Druid Enforcer – Early Fall, Year Two
- Druid Vengeance – Early Fall, Year Two
- Druid’s Due – Early Fall, Year Two
- Shade Cursed
- Druid Apprentice – October, Year Two
- Shade Hunted
- Druid Mystic – Late October/Early November, Year Two
- Druid Arcane – April, Year Three
- Druid Master – May, Year Three
- Shade War (tentative chronological placement as of 5/2021)
- Druid’s Folly – June, Year Three
- Druid’s Curse
- Colin McCool Saves Christmas
- THEM Series – 7.5 years after Druid’s Curse (in the Hellpocalypse timeline)
(Post updated on 4/27/2022)
Questions? Suggestions? Post them in the comments!