In the latter case, they’re usually referring to something that happened in one of the short stories or novellas. I know some readers feel those additional books and stories are unnecessary, and I get that. However, the short story collections and novellas are intended to provide back story on supporting characters, and to flesh out details that I might have glossed over in the main novels.
Usually I write a short story about an event that is mentioned in the main books because the scene or sub-plot didn’t fit neatly in the original narrative. Plus, it gives me a change of pace in my writing schedule. Since I started writing full-time, I’ve found that if I’m always writing the same characters and point of view, I get burned out really fast.
I know this is confusing for people who are new to the series and world of Colin McCool, so I put together a suggested reading order, based on the chronology of the events in the Junkyard Druid books, novellas, short story collections, and THEM post-apocalyptic series, which is in the same shared universe.
Suggested Reading Order:
(optional) Invasion: Zombie Apocalypse
(optional) Incursion: Vampire Apocalypse
Counteraction: Werewolf Apocalypse (first THEM book in which Colin shows up)
(optional) Gabby’s Run: Paranormal Apocalypse
To clear up any confusion on the chronology of the various series, below I’ve added the timeline I use to help me keep events straight from novel to novel and series to series. Also, the Trickster novels are the “main” story, continued in another series. Some readers seem to have adopted the misguided notion that there’s a divergence from the “main” storyline in The Trickster Cycle. There is no divergence in Colin’s story, other than the fact that I decided to continue Colin’s novels in separate series so readers would have more opportunities to stumble across my books when shopping online.
A TIMELINE OF EVENTS FOR MY DRUIDVERSE NOVELS
- The CERBERUS SERIES – The first three books occur approximately five years before Blood Scent and Junkyard Druid.
- Prequel: Druid Blood – Three-ish years before Junkyard Druid
- Prequel: Blood Scent – Spring, Year One
- Junkyard Druid – September, Year One
- Graveyard Druid – October, Year One
- Moonlight Druid – Winter, Year One
- Underground Druid – Spring, Year Two
- Druid Justice – Summer, Year Two
- Druid Enforcer – Early Fall, Year Two
- Druid Vengeance – Early Fall, Year Two
- Druid’s Due – Early Fall, Year Two
- Shade Cursed
- Druid Apprentice – October, Year Two
- Shade Hunted
- Druid Mystic – Late October/Early November, Year Two
- Druid Arcane – April, Year Three
- Druid Master – May, Year Three
- Shade War (tentative chronological placement as of 5/2021)
- Druid’s Folly – June, Year Three
- Druid’s Curse – July, Year Three
- Colin McCool Saves Christmas – December, Year Three
- Druid’s Bane – January, Year Four
- Blood Moon – January, Year Four
- Druid’s Gamble – February, Year Four
- THEM Series – 7.5 years after Druid’s Curse (in the Hellpocalypse timeline)
(Post updated on 3/09/2023)
Questions? Suggestions? Post them in the comments!